top of page
kohila paberivabrik.jpg

This place could be considered as the paper capital of Estonia as paper was produced here for almost 100 years. Today, the paper mill is no longer operational. The abandoned industrial buildings now offer an opportunity to re-discover the historic environment.

Kohila Paper Factory

Founded more than 120 years ago, the paper mill has been the heart of Kohila for a century. The factory produced various papers: three-colour wrapping paper, coloured caramel and album paper, wallpaper paper, several types of printing paper, butter paper, blue and white sugar paper, cigarette paper, coloured thread roll and tea paper, writing paper, booklets, coloured covers, etc.

kohila pv mv.jpg

The factory took good care of its employees by building a doctor's office, a telegraph station and a kindergarten. The workers also received a plot of land to maintain gardens and build animal sheds. There was also a laundry room and a laundry shed in community use. In 1910, the factory's new chimney was completed, which became a symbol of Kohila. In the paper factory, many generations were working until the mill was closed in 1999.

telfrikivid jõe ääres.jpg
Stones of Paper Mill

Papermaking is an art with a long history, dating back to the 2nd century in China. By the 14th century, numerous paper mills were operating in Europe, especially in Spain, Italy, France and Germany, where the paper was made from linen rags until the end of the 18th century.

However, we can talk about large-scale industrial production since the 19th century, when new technology was introduced and wood became the raw material for paper production.

In the paper mill established in Kohila in 1893, wood was the main raw material until paper production began from the pulp. Large stone crushers were used to crush and grind wood - 'telfri' stones. After the closing of the paper mill, the stones were used to strengthen the banks of the river. Recycling, which we talk about today, was practised at that time also.


The TAKKK Environmental Art Symposium brings the stones into the limelight through the art installation of the artist Serkan Demir from Turkey.

TAKKK Art Center
Tammiku manor

Tammiku manor and its surroundings (in Kose parish). The area is historically multi-layered and exceptional in terms of natural diversity. Wild nature, manor ruins, the Soviet era and modern times meet here. It is a place where the landscape provides various thoughts about the relationship between humans and nature.


Tammiku manor separated from Tuhala manor in 1600. The main building of the manor was burnt down during the unrest of the1905 Russian Revolution. The owner of the manor rebuilt the manor house and rented out the land as well as the buildings. During the Soviet time the manor was used as living quarters, housing two apartments. The house was left empty in the end on 1950s and fell apart very fast. Only the ruins of the perimeter of the manor remain until today.

In the stone granary there used to be the kitchen of the manor. During the Soviet time the territory was occupied by the forest management district and the granary was used to store the technical equipment of the forest district. There is a well preserved basement in the building. The walls are in danger of collapse.

bottom of page